The School pictured here is situated on the left of the village green opposite St Peters Church. One of five village schools to be built on the Sandringham Estate in the 1800's. Opened in 1877 to serve both the village of Shernbourne along with the surrounding areas.
It remained open until it's closure as a fully working school in 1966.
Shernborne is a village and parish 12 miles north east of the town of King's
Lynn in the county of Norfolk. Together with the villages of West Newton,
Flitcham, Anmer and Wolferton it forms part of The Royal Sandringham
The village has several focal buildings including The church of St. Peter
and St. Paul, Shernborne club, Shernborne Hall and of course the main
focal point, Shernborne School which stands proud overlooking the village
The school was opened in 1877 and through the years served the local population, it was divided into two teaching spaces.
'The hall' for older students and an 'Infants room'. Adjoined to the
school was the headmistress' cottage. In the early 1900's the average
attendance was 26 pupils. It was somewhat under utilised as the school
could accommodate 36. In 1901 there were only 15 infants. The headteacher
at this time was Annie Mitchell. Pupils of the
school came from neighbouring villages such as snettisham, Dersingam,
Bircham and Red Farm Barns. In 1966 the school closed and pupils then attended
other schools in the local area.